Petrobras reports oil discoveries at Búzios and Albacora fields in Brazil

first_imgPetrobras is the operator of the Búzios field with 90% stake while other partners include CNOOC with 5% and CNODC 5% Petrobras makes two oil discoveries at in Brazil. (Credit: Pixabay) Brazilian firm Petróleo Brasileiro (Petrobras) has announced the discovery of oil of good quality in the Southeast area of the Búzios field and greater potential in the pre-salt of the Albacora field in Campos Basin.The firm discovered the oil at the 9-BUZ-39DA-RJS well located in the Southeast area of the Búzios field, in the Santos Basin pre-salt, 210km from Rio de Janeiro.Oil reservoirs of 208m have been confirmed at the well, which is being drilled, through tests at a depth of below 5,400m, Petrobras said.In a statement, Petrobras said: “The Búzios field is covered by the largest seismic data volume of the nodes type in the world, whose technology is among the most modern for the construction of three-dimensional images of high resolution in oil reservoirs, allowing to optimize the productivity and profitability of this field.”Petrobras is the operator of Búzios fieldPetrobras is the operator of the Búzios field with 90% stake while other partners include CNOOC with 5% and CNODC 5%.The company said that it has also identified approximately 214m of reservoirs, with the presence of light oil, following tests carried out from 4,630m depth at the 9-AB-135D-RJS well.The well is located in the Albacora field, inside the Plano de Avaliação de Descoberta (PAD) of Forno area, in the Campos Basin pre-salt, 184km from Macaé, Rio de Janeiro.Last month, Petrobras announced the oil discovery in an exploratory well located in the Sudoeste de Tartaruga Verde block, the Campos Basin.Located 130km from the city of Macaé (RJ) and in water depths of 1,080m, the well, called Natator, encountered oil in carbonate reservoirs in the post-salt section.last_img read more

Pokemon Go welcome at Rio Olympics, mayor says

first_imgRio de Janeiro, Brazil |AFP |Could hunting for a Pokemon get any hotter? Maybe in Rio, so the city about to host the Olympic Games is urging makers of the popular app to come down to Brazil.The app, based on a Nintendo title that debuted 20 years ago, uses GPS and mapping capabilities in smartphones to let players roam the real world to find “PokeStops” stocked with supplies and hunt cartoon monsters to capture and train for battles.“Hello Nintendo! There are 23 days until the Rio 2016 Olympic Games. Everybody’s coming. You should come on down too,” Mayor Eduardo Paes said on Facebook Wednesday, with the welcoming hashtag #PokemonGoNoBrasil (Pokemon Go in Brazil). Since its release in the United States, Australia and New Zealand last week, the free Pokemon Go smartphone game that overlays play on the real world has triggered a major craze.Some, like Paes, think people might enjoy hunting around the city’s landmarks like Copacabana beach.Half a million foreign tourists are expected in Rio for South America’s first Olympics from August 5-21.Ex-supermodel Gisele Bundchen will be in her native Brazil to host the opening ceremony.Share on: WhatsApplast_img read more

Bombers earn split during East Kootenay road trip

first_img Saturday, Selkirk gained some revenge, outlasting the Bombers 9-6.Lincoln Rosenblood pitched well but took the loss for LVR with some releif help from Casey Harrison.LVR committed 11 errors behind the two pitchers which did not help the team. Both pitchers combined to give up four hits, strike out 2 and walk four.The Bombers collected four hits, Lincoln picked up 2, Breaden Zarikoff, Brandon Huffty and Ben LeMarquand had one each. The L.V. Rogers Bombers split a pair of doubleheaders during a recent swing through the East Kootenay.The Bombers defeated and lost to both Mt Baker Wild of Cranbrook and Selkirk Storm of Kimberley.Friday, to open the series, Braeden Zarikoff pitched well for the Bombers but the offense did not help in a 7-2 loss to the Wild.Senior pitcher Devon Marra of the Wild threw a great game striking out 14 Bomber hitters and only giving up the two hits — by Zarikoff and Mathew Brind’Amour — and three walks. In the final game, the Bombers were able to even the series with a 22-2 romp over Mt. Baker.Austin Tambellini through a one hitter for the win, collecting 6 strikeouts in the shortened game.The Bomber hitters came alive in game four collecting 12 hits, Braeden Zarikoff lead the team with 3 hits, Lincoln Rosenblood, Saywer Hunt and Astin Tambellini had two hits each, and Keaton Roch, Reese Tambellini and Ben LeMarquand each adding one hit. In Game two, John Barabonoff pitched a complete game for the win giving up four hits and walking none in a 13-3 win for LVR over Selkirk.The Bomber bats came alive in game two collecting nine hits. The team was lead by Saywer Hunt 3-for-3, and Lincoln Rosenblood 2-for-2, four  others added one hit each. The team has a record of 13 wins and 8 losses heading into their last weekend of play. The team is off to Southern Alberta where they will be playing double headers in Raymond and Coaldale this weekend.last_img read more

Changes to crop insurance continue in 2018

first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest Changes to the Federal crop insurance program initiated in 2017 will continue into 2018. The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Risk Management Agency (RMA) continues to improve the program, increasing its availability and effectiveness as a risk management tool while safeguarding the integrity of the program.In 2017, RMA had a number of accomplishments in the areas of program integrity, program efficiency, expanded options, and customer service. These accomplishments include the way RMA develops new pilot programs, and makes policy changes based on stakeholder feedback.“RMA has a responsibility to producers to provide flexible and available crop insurance,” said Robert Johansson, USDA’s Acting Deputy Under Secretary for Farm Production and Conservation. “We also have a responsibility to the American taxpayer to ensure the Federal crop insurance program is actuarially sound and uses their tax dollars in an efficient and effective manner.”Some highlights from 2017 are:Customer service — RMA worked with Approved Insurance Providers, agents, and stakeholder groups to respond to Hurricanes Harvey, Irma, and Maria, as well as a number of severe wildfires and other disasters throughout the year. For example, emergency procedures were implemented to streamline the claims process, allow for flexibility, and respond to specific commodity and regional issues. More than $3.4 billion in indemnities have been paid thus far for 2017.Expanded options — RMA provided increased flexibility to producers to customize their insurance coverage to best meet their risk management needs. This flexibility is especially important for producers having both irrigated and non-irrigated farming practices within the same operation.Program efficiency — RMA revised the conservation compliance provisions of the crop insurance policies to remove the certification deadline of June 1. This revision eliminates an unnecessary burden and provides greater flexibility to producers, agents, and Approved Insurance Providers to show compliance with the conservation requirements established in the Agricultural Act of 2014.Program integrity — RMA has worked diligently to reduce the improper payment rate for the Federal crop insurance program. RMA has reduced the improper payment rate from 5.58% in 2014 to 1.96% in 2017, a decline of 65%. As a result, RMA received the Office of Management and Budget’s approval to remove the program from the improper payment “high-priority” program list.last_img read more

Centre sets the ball rolling for Jammu and Kashmir polls

first_img Reserved seatsThe delimitation exercise will also take into account reservation of seats for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes as provided for under the Constitution, and that could tip the scales in favour of one region.There is also a significant population of those who were displaced during Partition in 1947-48 and settled in Jammu, who have had no no voting rights so far in the Assembly polls; a ball park figure puts the number of these persons at around eight lakh. 40 injured in J&K stoning incidents The earliest possible date for Assembly polls in the new Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir is around March next year, officials in the Home Ministry indicated, as the Election Commission (EC) held its first meeting on Tuesday for the delimitation exercise, necessitated under the new Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Act.The EC held “internal discussions” on the matter and “formal communication was awaited from the Ministry of Home Affairs”, an EC official said.Also Read J&K delimitation process kicks off  Senior sources in the government told The Hindu that the delimitation exercise undertaken by the EC, with help from the Home Ministry, is the first step towards holding Assembly polls in the Union Territory. Details set out in the Reorganisation Act on the strength of the new House etc. will have far reaching consequences for politics in Jammu and Kashmir.“First of all, the new Assembly, under the Reorganisation Act is to have 114 seats, of which 24 have been kept aside for areas under Pakistan Occupied Kashmir (PoK), which means elections will be conducted for 90 seats. The old Assembly had a strength of 111 seats (again 24 kept aside for PoK) with four seats for Ladakh region. That means seven extra seats will be added to the effective strength of the House. Which part of J&K will these seats be from remains to be decided,” sources said.Also Readlast_img read more

Champion coach Obet Javier goes back to being a referee for a game in UAAP

first_imgView comments Grace Poe files bill to protect govt teachers from malicious accusations He’s also not closing any doors in officiating women’s volleyball since he’s only prompted of the games he would officiate on a short notice.“I actually liked that this went to five sets because it really tested my knowledge in officiating,” said Javier. “They just tell me what games I’ll be in, and who knows, I might get to officiate in the women’s tournament.”As far as dealing with other coaches, Javier said he just has to remain composed since he knows that it’s like being on the receiving end of irate demands.“I just have to be composed because I’m also a coach and I deal with referees all the time.”ADVERTISEMENT ‘We are too hospitable,’ says Sotto amid SEA Games woes US judge bars Trump’s health insurance rule for immigrants Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting MOST READ PBA’s Chris Ross, Tony dela Cruz raise mental health awareness Oil plant explodes in Pampanga town Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Nextcenter_img Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte Oil plant explodes in Pampanga town Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netMANILA, Philippines—Obet Javier is one of the NCAA’s most successful volleyball coaches after recently steering Arellano University to its fourth title in five years in women’s volleyball.That doesn’t mean, though, that Javier won’t expand his portfolio and do some other jobs here and there.ADVERTISEMENT ‘We are too hospitable,’ says Sotto amid SEA Games woes LATEST STORIES Chief Justice Peralta on upcoming UAAP game: UP has no match against UST PLAY LIST 01:00Chief Justice Peralta on upcoming UAAP game: UP has no match against UST02:25PH women’s volleyball team motivated to deliver in front of hometown crowd00:50Trending Articles02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss Apart from having a bright volleyball mind, Javier is also a national referee in the sport and he also officiated the game between Adamson University and University in the opening weekend of the UAAP Season 81 men’s volleyball tournament Sunday at Mall of Asia Arena.Javier said he was already a volleyball referee a few years back but he wasn’t allowed to officiate games in the UAAP due to his previous employment with University of the East.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine ‍football chiefSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption charges“It was in 2001 that I started refereeing but that was in high school, and this was the first time I officiated a collegiate game in the UAAP,” said Javier in Filipino after the game in which the Soaring Falcons won, 33-31, 23-25, 16-25, 25-15, 16-14.Javier said he didn’t hesitate in grabbing the opportunity in working as a referee once again and he was absolutely delighted to officiate five-setter of a contest.last_img read more

Video: Lou Holtz Pulled The Ripped Newspaper Trick On The Texas Football Team

first_imgLou Holtz on the field before a game.GLENDALE, AZ – JANUARY 10: ESPN reporter Lou Holtz looks on during the Tostitos BCS National Championship Game between the Oregon Ducks and the Auburn Tigers at University of Phoenix Stadium on January 10, 2011 in Glendale, Arizona. (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)Texas head coach Charlie Strong served as an defensive assistant for Lou Holtz – both at Notre Dame and later at South Carolina. This week, Holtz stopped by Austin, Texas, to help out Strong and his staff ahead of the 2015 season. Holtz gave an inspiring speech to the team, and focused on what it takes to win a national championship. He also showed that he’s rather gifted when it comes to magic.Around the 3:30 mark in the below video, Holtz pulls the famed ripped newspaper magic trick on the squad. He actually does a really solid job, and the players are clearly impressed.Holtz certainly has his detractors, but it’s pretty cool that he’s willing to help out former staff members. If you’re looking to wow a crowd and learn the trick yourself, here’s a decent walkthrough.last_img read more

Rain & strong winds lash city, S Bengal districts

first_imgKolkata: Rain accompanied with strong wind lashed several parts of South Bengal districts, including the city, on Tuesday evening.The traffic in some areas of the city was affected due to the strong wind and rainfall. The Regional Meteorological Centre at Alipore predicted thundershower along with strong wind in various North Bengal districts in the next 48 hours. According to the weather office prediction, various South Bengal districts are also likely to receive light to moderate rainfall in the next two days. Gusty wind accompanied with rainfall may lash some South Bengal districts during the evening on Wednesday and Thursday because of the cyclonic circulation. Also Read – Bengal family worships Muslim girl as Goddess Durga in Kumari PujaSanjib Bandyopadhyay, the deputy director general of Regional Meteorological Centre, said there would be occasional thunderstorm and lightning in various parts of the state in April and May because of the Nor’wester. The temperature in South Bengal districts is expected to remain normal in the two months. The temperatures may fluctuate due to rain particularly in the evening. There is a possibility of rainfall in some Western districts of Bengal in the next 48 hours. Strong wind with a speed of 45-55 km per hour may hit the South Bengal. The intensity of the wind may be slight higher in the Western districts such Purulia, Bankura, Birbhum and West Midnapore. Also Read – Bengal civic volunteer dies in road mishap on national highwayAccording to a weather expert, the thunderstorm will occur due to impact of the Nor’wester, which is blowing in north-west direction. Similar weather conditions will prevail in North Bengal districts, which may get more rainfall than the South Bengal districts. A cyclonic circulation is witnessed over Bengal, Jharkhand and parts of Odisha. The districts such as Nadia, North 24-Parganas, South 24-Parganas, Hooghly, Howrah, East Midnapore and the city may also receive light rainfall and experience breeze. While, the districts such as Darjeeling, Jalpaiguri, Kalimpong, Malda, North and South Dinajpur will receive heavy rainfall accompanied with thunderstorm. It may be mentioned here that a gusty wind accompanied by rain swept many parts of the city, including districts in South Bengal in the evening of April 5 and 6. Trees were uprooted at many places in the city because of strong winds. Six full-grown trees toppled in Southern Avenue, Prince Anwar Shah Road, Baroj Road, Fairlie Place, Kalighat Road and AJC Bose Road areas. Train services in various sections of Howrah Division were delayed due to heavy storm and rain.last_img read more

For second time in less than a year, portion of Hero Chowk flyover caves in

first_imgGurugram: In less than a year for the second time, the portion of Hero Chowk flyover which has been made operational just one- and a half years ago caved in.Earlier in June 2018, the part of recently built flyover at the Delhi-Jaipur highway came out all of a sudden six months before it was inaugurated by the Chief Minister of Haryana. The situation had resulted in the heavy traffic jam for the office goers in the morning that continued for more than six hours. Also Read – Odd-Even: CM seeks transport dept’s views on exemption to women, two wheelers, CNG vehiclesIt is estimated that more than eighty thousand vehicles use the flyover daily for going to Udyog Vihar-6, Manesar and Jaipur. There are also a large number of commercial vehicles that use the flyover for the transportation of goods. To prevent the widening of the cracks the National Highway Authority of India (NHAI) has closed the portion for traffic coming from the Jaipur side so that the maintenance works can be undertaken. Meanwhile, the officials have filled up cracks temporarily so that the vehicles can move along the route. Also Read – More good air days in Delhi due to Centre’s steps: JavadekarThe state of art of flyover was completed that was built at an approximate cost of Rs 200 crore. The construction of the flyover had brought in a lot of laurels for the engineers, contractors and the public officials as it was completed well before its deadline. The flyover was a plan of revamping the Delhi-Jaipur highway where the NHAI and the Haryana government has invested Rs 1,400 crores in recent years to build various flyovers and underpasses along the busy route. Controversies began to emanate soon after the commuters started using the flyover as there were reports of materials coming out on various occasions. This is not for the first time when issues of construction flaws have been raised in various underpasses and flyovers that have come up at the Delhi-Jaipur expressway. Earlier concerns were raised of the widening gap at the IFFCO Chowk flyover. The matter was however resolved after a senior NHAI official public issued a statement that there was no matter of concern and the flyover was safe for usage. Public agencies in Gurugram however faced immense criticism after the roof of underpasses at Rajiv Chowk and Signature towers collapsed during a dust storm in April 2018.last_img read more