AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThis12 students at Alpena Community College have successfully completed the first Unmanned Aerial Systems Drone Pilot Course. The students completed 16 hours of classroom time and 2 hours of hands on training within a four–week period.During the training the ACC students learned about UAS regulations, the national airspace system, weather, loading performance, and operations. Grant Director, Dawn Stone said she is excited to see how the students will use the technology with their future employers.“This class of utility tech students is so ground breaking…because the utility tech students will actually be able to test for the FAA exam and upon successful completion of the exam they will be able to take that technology to an industry. They will be able to go to an employer that uses drone technology, where some of the employers may not have someone who knows how to or is certified to fly a drone. So their on the cutting edge,” Stone said.The course allowed students to prepare for the Remote Pilot Exam, which will take place next week and the following week. Stone said she is positive the entire class will pass the exam.AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThis Tags: ACC Students, alpena community college, Drones, FAA Exam, Unmanned Aerial Systems Drone Pilot CourseContinue ReadingPrevious Alpena Auxiliary Donates to the MidMichigan Medical Center AlpenaNext Thunder Bay Arts Council and Gallery Display Alpena High School Students Artwork
AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisOssineke Township, Mich. — A 19–year–old Ossineke man has been arrested after damaging property in his grandparent’s home for the second time.Troopers were dispatched for the second time this year to a home in Ossineke, regarding reports of the same suspect destroying property. Based on evidence from the scene, they arrested Nathan Seeley. The 19–year–old had done over $4,000 dollars worth of damage to his grandparent’s home.The grandparents had been staying next door to their home due to their grandson. Seeley had been threatening them. They reported hearing a loud bang, then receiving a call from the 19-year-old. Seeley said that he had nothing left to break in the house and asked if there was anything to eat. Seeley’s grandparents called the police after the phone call.Seeley was charged with one count of malicious destruction of a building and one count of malicious destruction of personal property ($10,000-$20,000). He was arraigned yesterday in the 88th district court.AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThis Tags: 88th District Court, alpena county, Malicious Destruction of a Building, Malicious Destruction of Personal Property, michigan state police, ossineke, Ossineke Township, Property DamageContinue ReadingPrevious Photo of the Day for Thursday, February 7Next LeFave Pharmacy offering CBD Informational Classes
AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisALPENA, Mich.— Switzer Veterinary Clinic staff continue to provide ways to keep furry friends happy as well as their owners. In February, Michigan legislators proposed the bill prohibiting the declawing of cats. Declawing is an irreversible surgery performed under anesthesia removing the finger bones and claws.Knight says, “Owners most commonly declaw cats to keep from destroying household items and also as a safety measure.” Owners can seek other options such as utilizing scratching posts kept in an open area and applying nail caps.An owner could be fined up to a thousand dollars if the new law is broken. Dr. Knight says, “We want to keep cats with their claws and educate owners on how to live with a clawed cat.”Pet owners are encouraged to schedule regular check ups for their animal and to discuss other preventive measures with a local veterinarian.AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisContinue ReadingPrevious Financial experts encourage you to handle your 401k with careNext Hunters Harvest for Charity raises $93,000 for local organizations
Former Bantamweight titlist Joseph “King Kong” Agbeko has set a goal; a peace goal he hopes to achieve with Ghanaians.Joseph Agbeko is appealing to politicians and their supporters to engage in peaceful campaigns ahead of the 2012 general elections in December.Agbeko said, the Government and Electoral Commission has put in place the necessary institutional and legal structures to ensure that the election will be free, fair and peaceful and we as Ghanaians too have to play our part.“As we approach this historic event, I appeal to all political leaders and their supporters to engage in peaceful campaigns. Let us all remember that Ghana’s collective destiny is far more important than the interest of any individual person or group” the professional bantamweight boxer said.The objectives of King Kong and his team include the promotion of peace, solidarity, tolerance and unity in Ghana which adds up to National development.A campaign song by Richie & All Stars titled ‘Yen Ara Asaase Ni’ will also be used to spearhead the campaign.A music video and video documentary will have solidarity messages of prominent people using the phrase – ‘My name is…… and I rumble for peace’ will be inserted in the videos.Agbeko will be calling on the father of the nation, chiefs, community leaders, political parties, celebrities and more to help make his campaign successful.On the campaign, he described boxing as an important element in the fight for peace, national reconciliation and development.Taking part in an election is the sure way of influencing the political and economic destiny of Ghana so he will also be distributing T-shirts, hand bands, banners, posters, bumper stickers and more to spread the peace messages. Joseph Agbeko was born March 22, 1980 in Accra and professional boxer with a record of 28 wins (22 knockouts), 4 losses and 0 draws.In 2010, Joseph’s efforts in the sport of boxing,saw the township of Sogakope in the Volta Region of Ghana enstooled him as a warrior chief. His enstoolment name was Togbe Kaletor I, which means ‘Brave Warrior.
Airtel Ghana Managing Director, Philip Sowah has promised that the company will continue supporting the development of soccer at the juvenile level through its flagship ‘Airtel Rising Stars’ and would even increase the support over the coming years.“We at Airtel have decided to focus on soccer at the juvenile level to develop talents for the future of football in Ghana and I can assure you that we will not cut back on our investment into that area, but we will even invest more in the coming years,” he said.Philip Sowah was speaking at a brief ceremony to present a cheque for $7,000 and $3,000 in football gear to Ghana’s Inter-Royal Football Club, for winning the maiden edition of female category of the Africa Airtel Rising Stars in Nairobi, Kenya.Inter-Royal went to the Africa tournament after winning the Ghana edition of the Airtel Rising Stars competition.Philip Sowah said Airtel was proud of the achievement of the team as it brought honour to the country, adding that Airtel was happy that the Airtel Rising Stars (ARS) initiative is already yielding positive results for the country.The company also used the occasion to present a cheque of GHC5,000 to the Captain of Ghana Under-17 female team, the Black Maidens, Priscilla Okyere, who was a product of Airtel Rising Stars and led the Maidens to win Bronze at the recent World U-17 tournament in Azerbaijan. “Priscilla’s exemplary leadership on the field and immense talent is one that Airtel is proud of and that is why we want to help in the further development of Priscilla by rewarding her with GHC 5,000 to be placed in an investment fund for her,” Sowah said.Priscilla Okyere was one of six best players from Ghana who attended a soccer clinic in South Africa last year under the auspices of Airtel through the Airtel Rising Stars program.Priscilla expressed her gratitude to Airtel for the reward and the opportunity she had to take part in the Airtel Rising Stars.“It taught me a lot of things I didn’t know before”, she said.Chairman of the National Juvenile Committee (NJC) of the Ghana Football Association, George Afriyie said his outfit was happy with the ARS initiative being pioneered by Airtel. He said the NJC is looking forward to continuing the collaboration with Airtel to help unearth soccer talents at the grassroots level.Afriyie called on other corporate organizations to get onboard the ARS train and partner Airtel to develop juvenile soccer.“At the GFA, we are starting a ‘books and boots’ program under which we will ensure that all talents playing in any of the national teams are also in school and those whose parents cannot afford to finance their schooling will be admitted to the GFA’s own academy to ensure they are not denied formal education because of football,” he said.Airtel Rising Stars is an initiative geared towards unearthing footballers who are in school. Two of the players from the just ended event have been called into the national U-17 team, the Black Starlets.
The Emergency Committee of the Ghana Football Association has rejected the temporary resignation of Olympique Marseille duo Andre and Jordan Ayew from the Black Stars.According to our well-placed sources, the Emergency Committee has resolved to do everything within its power to resolve all issues relating to the Ayews’ decisions, including strained relationships between both players and the Black Stars Management Committee.Footy-ghana.com understands that the two players will soon be invited for a meeting to air their grievances so that a quick resolution is sought for the matter.Sources close to the GFA’s top hierarchy have also told footy-ghana.com that the latest retirements, coming on the heels of similar actions taken by Asamoah Gyan, Michael Essien, Sulley Muntari and Kevin Prince Boateng amongst others, sends a bad signal as regards the level of commitment of players to the Black Stars, adding that the Emergency Committee is set to put measures in place to halt the worrying trend of temporary and premature retirements from the team.In a related development footy-ghana.com has learnt that both players have already been included in Ghana’s squad for next month’s 2014 World Cup qualifier against Sudan in Kumasi.
International Trade Union Congress claims about 12 labourers will die each week unless drastic action is taken.Qatar’s construction frenzy ahead of the 2022 World Cup is on course to cost the lives of at least 4,000 migrant workers before a ball is kicked, the International Trade Union Congress (ITUC) has claimed.The group has been scrutinizing builders’ deaths in the Gulf emirate for the past two years and said that at least half a million extra workers from countries including Nepal, India and Sri Lanka are expected to flood in to complete stadiums, hotels and infrastructure in time for the World Cup kickoff.The annual death toll among those working on building sites could rise to 600 a year – almost a dozen a week – unless the Doha government makes urgent reforms, it says.The ITUC has based the estimate on current mortality figures for Nepalese and Indian workers who form the bulk of Qatar’s 1.2 million-strong migrant workforce, the large majority of whom are builders.While it admits that the cause of death is not clear for many of the deceased – with autopsies often not being conducted and routine attribution to heart failure – it believes harsh and dangerous conditions at work and cramped and squalid living quarters are to blame. The stark warning came after a Guardian investigation revealed that 44 Nepalese workers died from 4 June-8 August this year, about half from heart failure or workplace accidents.Workers described forced labour in 50C heat, employers who retain salaries for several months and passports making it impossible for them to leave and being denied free drinking water. The investigation found sickness is endemic among workers living in overcrowded and insanitary conditions and hunger has been reported. Thirty Nepalese construction workers took refuge in the their country’s embassy and subsequently left the country, after they claimed they received no pay.The Indian ambassador in Qatar said 82 Indian workers died in the first five months of this year and 1,460 complained to the embassy about labour conditions and consular problems. More than 700 Indian workers died in Qatar between 2010 and 2012.Without changes to working practices, more workers will die building the infrastructure in the runup to the World Cup than players will take to the field, the ITUC has warned. “Nothing of any substance is being done by the Qatar authorities on this issue,” said Sharan Burrow, the general secretary of the Brussels-based organisation that has met the Qatari labour minister in Geneva and officials at the Qatar 2022 supreme committee, which is preparing the country for the World Cup.“The evidence-based assessment of the mortality rate of migrant workers in Qatar shows that at least one worker on average per day is dying. In the absence of real measures to tackle that and an increase in 50% of the migrant workforce, there will be a concominant increase in deaths. “We are absolutely convinced they are dying because of conditions of work and life. Everything the Guardian has found out accords with the information we have gathered from visits to Qatar and Nepal. There are harrowing testimonies from the workers in the system there. The 2022 World Cup is a very high profile event and should be implemented with the very highest standards and that is clearly not the case.”It is estimated that Qatar, the world’s richest country by income per capita, is spending the equivalent of £62bn from its gas and oil wealth on building transport infrastructure, hotels, stadiums and other facilities ahead of the World Cup.The ITUC has estimated the number of migrant workers already in Qatar at over 1.2 million and says possibly as many as 1 million more will be needed to get the country ready for the world’s biggest sporting event. “Fifa needs to send a very strong and clear message to Qatar that it will not allow the World Cup to be delivered on the back of a system of modern slavery that is the reality for hundreds of thousands of migrant workers there today,” said Burrow.The ITUC’s own analysis of deaths this summer appears to tally with the Guardian’s investigation. It found that 32 Nepalese workers died in July, many of them young men in their 20s. “Nepal accounts for less than half the migrant workers in Qatar, and reports from other countries-of-origin indicate that similar numbers of workers from these countries are losing their lives in Qatar,” Burrow said.Asked to comment on the prediction of thousands of deaths, a spokesman for the Qatar 2022 supreme committee said on Thursday that organisers were “appalled” by the the Guardian’s revelations about the deaths of Nepalese workers who travelled to the Gulf state to work. “Like everyone viewing the video and images, and reading the accompanying texts, we are appalled by the findings presented in the Guardian’s report,” the spokesman said. “There is no excuse for any worker in Qatar, or anywhere else, to be treated in this manner.“The health, safety, wellbeing and dignity of every worker that contributes to staging the 2022 Fifa World Cup is of the utmost importance to our committee and we are committed to ensuring that the event serves as a catalyst toward creating sustainable improvements to the lives of all workers in Qatar.”A leading expert in labour migration to the Gulf from south Asia warned Qatar that ill-treatment of workers would backfire because the labour forces they rely on to build their economies will start resisting.Prof S Irudaya Rajan, chairman of the research unit on international migration at the centre for development studies in Kerala, India, said: “They need people from India and Nepal to give their hard work and they need better treatment because they are the ones building their whole economy.“The Qataris have made them invisible in their economy but they have to make them visible. In the 21st century, labour should be treated equally to capital.” Rajan said he believed Indian workers were better treated than some others because the relatively long history of the country sending workers to the Gulf means support networks are already in place for them.
Hundreds of Ghanaian Football fans on Wednesday embarked on a demonstration to protest the Canadian High Commission’s refusal to grant them visas to travel to Canada to watch the on-going FIFA U20 World Cup matches.Meanwhile, the Black Princesses beat Finland 2-1 on Tuesday in Moncton to finish on 6 points but still failed to qualify for the last-eight from Group A where Korea DPR and hosts Canada, both on the same points with Ghana went through with a better goal advantage.Agrieved supporters holding placards
A Spanish judge has rejected an appeal filed by Lionel Messi’s lawyers to drop tax fraud charges against the Barcelona star, meaning the case against Messi and his father Jorge Messi will continue.The judge rebutted the counter demand that the football player be excluded from the case against him and his father that alleges they withheld 4 million euros ($5.3 million) in unpaid taxes from 2007-09.The judge’s statement read that “in this type of crime, it is not necessary for someone to have complete knowledge of all the accounting and business operations nor the exact quantity, rather it is sufficient to be aware of the designs to commit fraud and consent to them.”Messi and his father have five days to appeal the ruling.
Ex-Arsenal and Chelsea man Nicholas Anelka has urged Juventus’ Paul Pogba to snub Manchester United and sign for Chelsea, according to the Daily Express.Pogba, who used to play for Man United as a youth player, is reportedly available this summer as he looks to take the next step in his hugely promising career. The Frenchman would cost up to £80million, meaning only a handful of the world’s richest clubs can afford him.“My preference is for him to join Chelsea, who have very strong players and the financial power of [Roman] Abramovich,” said Anelka, who is a compatriot of Pogba’s and has experience playing at some of the world’s biggest clubs.Anelka also believes that Real Madrid would be a good option for the 21-year-old midfielder saying that “He would grow a lot under Carlo Ancelotti.”It’s likely that many players and important figures within the game will try and persuade Pogba, thus making it hard to tell what the youngster’s decision will be. However, one certainty is that if he does move this summer, it will be an almighty bidding war. More soon…………….