A note from the editor:Please consider making a voluntary financial contribution to support the work of DNS and allow it to continue producing independent, carefully-researched news stories that focus on the lives and rights of disabled people and their user-led organisations. Please do not contribute if you cannot afford to do so, and please note that DNS is not a charity. It is run and owned by disabled journalist John Pring and has been from its launch in April 2009. Thank you for anything you can do to support the work of DNS… Disabled members of the Labour party are angry that new plans to elect a disabled representative to a key party body will see half of the votes in the election given to unions.Members of the executive of Disability Labour, which is affiliated to the party, want to see elections for the new seat for a disabled member on Labour’s national executive committee (NEC) conducted on the basis of “one member one vote”, with only disabled party members allowed to vote.But the party agreed at its annual conference in Liverpool this week that 50 per cent of the votes would be given to trade unions.The same rules will apply to elections for a new seat for a disabled member on the party’s influential conference arrangements committee, which manages the annual conference every year.Fran Springfield, Disability Labour’s new co-chair, told Disability News Service: “We want one member one vote.”Wayne Blackburn, her fellow co-chair, added: “When it comes to something as critical for disabled members, it should be one member one vote for disabled members of the party.”He said Disability Labour would be lobbying the party over the next year to change the rules.Kathy Bole, a co-vice-chair of Disability Labour, said she was concerned that the rules could see a union-backed activist elected to the NEC rather than one backed by disabled party members.The Labour party had not responded by noon today (Thursday) to a request for a comment on the decision to give unions half of the voting rights.The Labour party also voted this week to set up for the first time an association of disabled members within the official party structure.The new association – which will join groups already set up for women, LGBT and black and minority ethnic members – is set to be launched in 2020.It could replace Disability Labour, although some disabled activists believe that Disability Labour should continue in a parallel role as an affiliated group, outside the main party structures, rather than being merged with the new association.New members of the Disability Labour executive, who were elected earlier this month to provide a fresh start for the much-criticised organisation, had different views this week on whether they would like to see Disability Labour continue after the new association launches in 2020.Springfield said: “Disability Labour will vote on whether members want to become part of the new association or whether they want to stay as a socialist society.“I want them to become part of the main movement because then they will get the chance to contribute [to the party].”Bole said it was an important decision to create an association for disabled members within the main party structure.She said: “The biggest way we are going to be able to make changes is within the party.“I think we will be taken slightly more seriously if we are within the Labour party rather than an organisation that functions outside.”But Blackburn said: “Disability Labour has a really important position to have as a critical friend for Labour.“Whether a disability association will be able to do the same I have some concerns.“I think the association is really important because it can have important influence, but from my point of view I think there is still a place for Disability Labour, even if it is a small part.”Meanwhile, efforts to make it easier for disabled party members to be heard during debates on the main conference platform appear to have been successful.Concerns had been raised about party figures chairing debates in previous years being influenced in deciding who to call to speak by delegates jumping out of their seats and waving their arms in the air – or sometimes holding up inflatables or umbrellas – to catch the eye of the chair.But efforts to change the way delegates were chosen to speak appeared to have been successful this week, particularly in Monday’s debate on education and social security.Dave Allan, chair of the national disabled members’ committee of Unite the Union, had reminded Labour MP Shabana Mahmood – who was chairing the debate – of a ruling by a chair the previous day who had said that delegates who stood up and waved things in the air would not be called to speak.Mahmood then called a series of disabled delegates to speak during the debate, including several for whom a conference assistant had raised an arm on their behalf.Pictured: Blackburn, Springfield and Bole (right) at the Disability Labour fringe
SAINTS have announced their squad for Friday’s Stobart Super League Round 27 game at Wigan Warriors.Michael Shenton returns but the game comes a week too early for Ade Gardner who played 50 minutes for the under 20s last week.Chris Flannery has an ankle injury and is therefore unavailable as is Sia Soliola.The squad is:1. Paul Wellens, 3. Michael Shenton, 5. Francis Meli, 6. Lance Hohaia, 7. Jonny Lomax, 8. Josh Perry, 9. James Roby, 10. Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook, 11. Tony Puletua, 12. Jon Wilkin, 14. Anthony Laffranchi, 15. Mark Flanagan, 16. Paul Clough, 17. Gary Wheeler, 19. Andy Dixon, 20. Lee Gaskell, 21. Tommy Makinson, 26. Josh Jones, 28. Joe Greenwood.Shaun Wane, Wigan’s Head Coach, will choose from:1. Sam Tomkins, 2. Josh Charnley, 3. Darrell Goulding, 4. George Carmont, 5. Pat Richards, 6. Brett Finch, 7. Thomas Leuluai, 9. Michael McIlorum, 10. Lee Mossop, 11. Harrison Hansen, 12. Gareth Hock, 13. Sean O’Loughlin, 14. Jeff Lima, 15. Stuart Fielden, 16. Liam Farrell, 22. Gil Dudson, 23. Ben Flower, 26. Jack Hughes, 38. Matty Smith.The game kicks off at 8pm and the referee is James Child.Tickets are still available for the game and details are here.Stat Pack:Last Ten Meetings:St Helens 16, Wigan 42 (SLR15, 27/5/12)Wigan 18, St Helens 4 (CCQF, 12/5/12)St Helens 10, Wigan 28 (SLR10, 6/4/12)St Helens 26, Wigan 18 (SLQSF, 1/10/11)Wigan 18, St Helens 26 (SLQPO, 18/9/11)St Helens 12, Wigan 18 (CCSF, 6/8/11)St Helens 10, Wigan 32 (SLR18, 17/6/11)Wigan 28, St Helens 24 (SLR11, 22/4/11)St Helens 16, Wigan 16 (SLR1, 12/2/11)St Helens 10, Wigan 22 (SLGF, 2/10/10)Super League Summary:Wigan won 29St Helens won 264 drawsUps and Downs:Wigan highest score: 65-12 (A, 1997) (also widest margin)St Helens highest score: 57-16 (MM, 2008) (also widest margin)Super League Milestones(Players reaching significant figures in Super League games only, including play-offs)Michael Shenton – 1 appearance away from 150 (99 for Castleford, 2004, 2006 & 2008-2010 and 50 for St Helens, 2011-2012)Tony Puletua – 1 appearance away from 100 (99 for St Helens, 2009-2012)Try Scoring RunsPaul Wellens has the longest streak of tries in consecutive matches, having touched down in his sides’ last five games as follows: 1-1-2-1-2.He now needs one try to draw level with Anthony Sullivan in sixth place in the list of all-time leading St Helens tryscorers.His brace against London Broncos in the Saints’ last Super League fixture took his total to 212 touchdowns in 432 games for the club.St Helens – Most Tries in a Career:1. Tom van Vollenhoven – 3922. Les Jones – 2823. Alf Ellaby – 2804. Steve Llewellyn – 2395.Roy Mathias – 2186. Anthony Sullivan – 2137. Paul Wellens – 2128. Alan Hunte – 1899. Duggie Greenall – 18810. Frank Wilson – 176
JONNY Lomax took home the Player of the Month for April at the latest Saints Business Networking event in conjunction with Oval Insurance Broking Ltd.The coaching staff awarded him the accolade for his performances both on and the pitch.Attendees at the latest Networking event saw a presentation from the St Helens Chamber and were able to watch Captain’s Run as Saints prepared for their First Utility match with London.To be involved in the next Networking event, or to find out more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01744 455 053.
SAINTS are proud to get behind the Founders Walk – and participants on the ‘final leg’ can enjoy a discount on tickets for our game with Hull KR.The Founders Walk is visiting the original sites of each of the 22 founding clubs of Rugby League, to celebrate 120 years of our great sport.Here’s how our fans and community can get involved:Walk with us! Our local stretch is Sherdley Park, WA9 5DE to Langtree Park on July 24 at 4pm. If you want to walk further – you can do the whole day or even the whole six days!Why not stay for the game? Participants on the final leg can get adult tickets for £10 and juniors for a fiver. Simply take your walk confirmation to the Ticket Office. Volunteer – help make the St Helens stretch the best 4.5 miles of the whole week.Sponsor a walker – some of you will be at work or on holiday, but give a little to support someone you know who’s walking with us.This is a fun activity for friends, family and fans to get together to celebrate 120 years of Rugby League and raise some money for good causes within the game.Visit here for more info or email: Katharine.Irwin@RLCares.org.ukThere is just a £5 registration fee per person, which gets you a t-shirt and wristband.
GIVING the lads a lift! Saints Pre-Season training took a different track today with a gruelling all day physical session in the Lake District.We teamed up with Cassius Camps to test the first team’s mental and physical state ahead of the new season – and their teamwork.In fact as you’ll see from the pictures below (supplied by @plattyphoto), it’s ok to have one of those facets – but to succeed you need all three!The Cassius Camp was held at Graythwaite in the Lake District; a beautiful setting for a vicious challenge!To see more pics from the day follow us on Twitter @saints1890 and check out our timeline!You can see a video of the morning session here.
The charges came about after Collins forcibly entered the home with his co-defendants and held two young women in the home and one young man outside at gunpoint.The defendants stole items from the home before leaving. The victims were not seriously injured.Assistant District Attorney Jacob Ward stated, “This was a truly a terrifying case for our victims. Our office is happy we were able to get justice for the three young adults that were terrorized by Jamie Collins. No member of our community should fear being victimized in their own home.”Jeffrey Collins sentenced to at least 7 years for charges. Photo: District Attorney Jon David)Related Article: Sheriff: Man shot off-duty officer, tried to ram deputiesCollins’ co-defendant and brother, Jeffrey Collins has already pleaded guilty to his role in the armed robbery and home invasion.Jeffrey Collins is currently serving his nearly 10 years sentence in the North Carolina Department of Adult Corrections. BRUNSWICK COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — A Calabash man will spend up to 10 years in prison for his role in an armed robbery at a home in the Ocean Isle Beach area.District Attorney Jon David announced that on Monday, Jamie Collins pleaded guilty to Robbery with a Dangerous Weapon, Second Degree Kidnapping, and First Degree Burglary in Brunswick County Superior Court.- Advertisement –
The much-needed funds aim to expand financial empowerment services for approximately 200 survivors in the Lower Cape Fear area.These much-needed funds will expand financial literacy education for survivors of domestic violence in the New Choices Economic Empowerment program and other survivors in the community who rely on the YWCA for support services.“Domestic violence impacts 1 in 4 women in the US every year, but in North Carolina that figure changes to 1 in 3 women who experience abuse at the hands of their partner. In most cases, survivors report financial abuse as well, adding to the extreme difficulty they face in removing themselves from abusive relationships. Sixty percent of our New Choices program participants are survivors of domestic violence or financial abuse. Our goal is to educate and empower these survivors to get their lives back on track emotionally and financially,” said Charrise Hart, YWCA Lower Cape Fear CEO.Related Article: Florida woman charged after giving husband’s guns to policeFinancial abuse occurs in 99 percent of domestic violence cases. Abusers deny victims access to money, ruin their credit by stealing their identity, or harass them at work so they lose their jobs. Without resources of their own, victims are often unable to care for themselves and their families, to find employment and housing, or to save for the future. Most victims who participate in YWCA domestic violence programs have no money or any other financial resources when they arrive.YWCA Lower Cape Fear was selected for the grant because of its ongoing commitment to ending financial abuse, domestic abuse and violence in all its forms. The Moving Ahead Through Financial Empowerment curriculum teaches participants how to recognize financial abuse, build and use or repair credit, create a budget, teach strategies for effectively managing personal finance, and prepare participants for opportunities for financial growth through microenterprise solutions.The Allstate Foundation Purple Purse is the longest-running national campaign focused on ending domestic violence through a proven solution: financial empowerment services for survivors. The Allstate Foundation offers a free comprehensive financial literacy tool designed specifically for survivors, the Purple Purse Moving Ahead Through Financial Management curriculum, on PurplePurse.com.Nationally, YWCA is the largest network of domestic violence service providers and YWCA USA is proud to call The Allstate Foundation a partner. YWCA Lower Cape Fear’s New Choices program has worked to support women taking steps toward financial independence and self-sufficiency since 1985. The program aims to help women build a strong economic base through learned financial fundamentals, empower women to make informed financial decisions to create impactful change in their lives, open opportunities for microenterprise loan assistance, and provide guidance in the development of short-term and long-term financial planning skills. WILMINGTON,NC (News Release) — YWCA Lower Cape Fear received a $50,000 grant to expand domestic violence and financial abuse programs.It will use the funds to implement the Purple Purse Moving Ahead Through Financial Empowerment curriculum developed by The Allstate Foundation that teaches participants how to identify financial abuse and how to build fundamental skills they need to become financially self-sufficient.- Advertisement –
The county’s list of delinquent taxes is as of March 15. Anyone who paid their taxes since then would still appear on the list, said New Hanover Tax Administrator Allison Snell.The amounts range from $2.84 owed on a property in Wilmington to the $89,032.77 owed on land on the Cape Fear River north of the Wilmington Convention Center that includes the Port City Marina. The owner, NRMH Holdings, is one of several business holdings of parcels of land in and around the marina managed by Charles Schoninger, according to the N.C. Secretary of State’s Office.Schoninger on Monday paid the outstanding taxes on all of his properties except for a $42,939.12 bill for Northern Riverfront Marina and Hotel LLLP, according to county tax records.Related Article: Cyber Monday shoppers will see more sites charging sales taxClick here to read more and see the full list of property tax owed at StarNewsOnline.com By Tim BucklandStarNews StaffNEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC (StarNews) — The county’s property taxpayers collectively owe $4.1 million in delinquent taxes on 3,672 tax bills that were due more than two months ago, according to the New Hanover County Tax Department.- Advertisement –
Advertisement There are two downloads available:High Resolution (35.88 MB) Low Resolution (6.73 MB) If you would like to order copies of the print version, click the link below to place your order. Delivery within Kampala is FREE.http://www.pctechmagazine.com/component/jforms/1/63?view=form – Advertisement –
Advertisement He began digitising more texts and started Project Gutenberg, a volunteer effort to make all of the world’s out-of-copyright books available online.Hart wrote: “I am hoping that with a library this size that the average middle class person can afford, that the result will be an even greater overthrow of the previous literacy, education and other power structures than happened as direct results of The Gutenberg Press around 500 years ago.”Project Gutenberg’s library now contains more than 36,000 books, in 60 different languages, all typed-in by volunteers and all available free. On average, 50 new books are added each week. With the growth of ereaders and tablets over the last few years more people than ever are using the library. – Advertisement – Writing in July, on the 40th anniversary of his first upload, Hart said: “One thing about eBooks that most people haven’t thought much is that eBooks are the very first thing that we’re all able to have as much as we want other than air. Think about that for a moment and you realize we are in the right job.”An obituary posted on Project Gutenberg said: “Michael prided himself on being unreasonable, and only in the later years of life did he mellow sufficiently to occasionally refrain from debate. Yet, his passion for life, and all the things in it, never abated.”Source: Telegraph News